Sunday, June 29, 2014

Exciting news!

Besides writing blogs about travels and finger plays for preschoolers, I have been writing books-that-are-never-published. There was a flurry of successes back in the early 90s, including the first series of Bible board books, Baby Bible Storybook. Then while I was writing weekly sermons, publishing changed - faster, leaner and harder to break in. I am back to square 1, even with 20+ publications!

But determination (read: stubbornness!) is a gift. So in the last month I have been surprised to sign contracts with a Christian agent to do any number of books, beginning with a God Cares! board book set. This project has been in my brain for a decade and written, sent out, rejected and revised repeatedly for the last 5 years. Why continue?

Because it is the kind of book I envision my grandchildren hearing to surround their days with God's love as well as the family bonds. The day may come for all of them that parental (and even grandparental!) feet will be sighted firmly in the clay, opinions will be outdated, advice ignored. The day will come when the earthly bonds are broken. Then I hope they each dig down and find a endless source of unchangeable and unchanging love in God, perhaps in something I said or did or shared
.

Whatever your passion is - gardening or volunteer work or travel or baking - think of how you can share the activity with grandchildren so that God's love transcends and endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment