Thursday, April 21, 2016

Quality Time

One of the biggest challenges of being a long distance grandparent is that visits are short and intense. No day to day update on Brownies or casual dinners. The nice thing is we are Special and take lots of pictures! The hard parts for me are that I also need time with my daughters (sans grandblessings) and each child is continually vying for attention because the visits go too fast for all of us!

The last few times I have instigated a divide and conquer method - my husband and I request an hour and a half during which the parents can do whatever they want. We set the stove timer. Then I get 30 minutes totally concentrating on one while he takes the other. At 30 minutes (or so...) we swap. the child completely chooses and directs the activity. We will read or play games or puppets or shoot baskets or chase with lasers. Both of us are capable of 30 minutes of anything!

Sometimes with those memories - and tiredness - the kids will bed down quickly, and I get time and wine with the girls.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Pastor Robin. I am also a Pastor from Mumbai,India and I love to get connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get to know you and also get connected with you because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ and the Pastor ministry you are a still part of. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your church to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. Since you have an interest in missions and with lesser responsibi8lites at the church we would love to have you come with your husband and work with us as well as encourage our women in the church. I am sure you will have life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. Richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diwakar - my friend! I was in Dharmsala India for 3 weeks in 2010 and loved every minute! This year I am headed for Peru, but thank you for the gracious invitation.

    ReplyDelete